Saturday, November 3, 2012

New York City blackout. Hurricane Sandy.


I rode the 1 train from Washington Heights to Midtown, service had partially resumed earlier in the day. I was going to see something that I may not ever get to see again; Lower Manhattan in Darkness. The last stop was 42nd, I carried my bike up two flights of stairs and I was off into the unusually cold November 1st night. I crossed over to Broadway and turned south. The lights of the city faded to black, the only light coming from the tail lights of the taxis that I followed. The flat Iron building began to take shape.   


























NOHO, SOHO, TriBeCa, West Village, Lower East Side, it was all black. Not a single light. The only light came from the passing taxies and police cars. It was incredibly eerie, but also peaceful. Standing on Greenwich St. in TriBeCa, it was actually possible to really feel the city. Without the hustle and bustle of the nightlife, without the bright city lights that never turn off, the aura of the city was overwhelming. Had I energy, I could have stayed out all night. ¾ of a million people were without power in Lower Manhattan. The subways were completely down. Staten Island got hit really hard, as did parts of Brooklyn. Parts of the Jersey shore is pretty much gone judging from the photos I have seen. Still, It could have been a whole heck of a lot worse. There are so many people right now all over the city working ridiculous hours to things back to normal. The power to Lower Manhattan was supposed to come back on today; the trains were back up in limited service just one day after. Right now there is even a train to Brooklyn running. I am incredibly thankful that I live in an area that was not heavily affected. 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE. THIS. You were always awesome at photography, but it seems as though the city has inspired you. I can see it visually through your images.

    ReplyDelete